Me, Watching Tennis

Me, Watching Tennis
Me, Watching Tennis

Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Little Hype

Happy 2009 everybody! Rowan here, doing the guest blogging thing for the New Zealand hardcourt swing. Can you call two tournaments in the same place a swing? Sure you can!

The ASB Classic kicks off tomorrow so I thought I would give it a little hype. Elena Dementieva is this year’s big attraction, and at world number 4 she’s the highest ranked player the Classic has ever had, ever. That's hype. Young Caroline Wozniacki is the second seed, and Nicole Vaidisova and Shahar Peer are in the mix too. And New Zealand’s own Marina Erakovic will be there to give us something to cheer about, woo.

Tomorrow Leni and her thighs will be on centre court playing doubles, making us wait at least one more day to see the Olympic champ in her singles glory. But her doubles glory is still pretty glorious. 38-year-old Kimiko Date Krumm will be starting her 2009 comeback against American Jill Craybas, who is no spring chicken herself, though she looks better conditioned than most of the girls on the tour. Seriously, the lady is cut. And Vaidisova will play Alla Kudryavtseva, that annoying girl who beat Maria Sharapova at Wimbledon and then said she hated her outfit. I thought the whole white tuxedo thing was pretty cool.

There’ll be more happening as well. I’ll let you know the good stuff.

2 comments:

paula said...

YES! Rowan! Such good tennis coming up. We want to hear all about Leni's thighs and eveything else. Rick Rock wants all the details (as do I!). Her groundstokes are my favorite. You have to tell us all about eveything...we wish we were there with you!

paula said...

Also, I am not a huge Sharapova fan, but I dug her her tux outfit a lot. I am with you, Rowan, on that.