Me, Watching Tennis

Me, Watching Tennis
Me, Watching Tennis

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hopman Cup Semifinal, US vs. Australia

I sometimes feel the great need to comment on the commentators. And it must be said that Martina Navratilova is fabulous. "I dislexed that," she said, laughing. Not only does she have a sense of humor about her own issues, she's usually spot on about the tennis. Personally, I think she is on the "spectrum", or has a bit of Asperger's, as they say around here and I love that about her. And all the Australian guys commentating? They are so damn HAPPY. There is no jadedness. I love it. I love this event. But where is Angus Young? Where is his brother Malcolm? I know they are in that audience or somewhere nearby and I wish the cameras would give us a glimpse of them. And I wish Angus would wear that cute schooboy uniform. (Did you all know that a few years back Federer listed AC/DC as his favorite band? It was on the ATP site or in some article.)

Serena looks so healthy and is hitting the ball so well. Bravo. I like Molik a lot, too, and have been very confused about her extremely difficult time coming back from an inner ear infection. I know an inner ear infection is a big deal, but - over a year for recovery? It seems a bit odd. But what do I know. I am happy to see her playing fairly well. I love her Aussie personality. And Martina was spot on in complaining about her return of the return. Work on that Alicia!

Mardy vs. Peter is another thing. Mardy's hair is almost in his face, he hasn't shaved in a week and he has a tummy. I all but expected him to chew tobacco, like he did on the bench at the Davis Cup, during his match. There is something slightly disrespectful about him. I'm sure he's a great guy- a stand up guy. Actually, I'm not sure about that at all, but what I mean is - I don't know him! But his arrogant slovenliness rubs me a bit. Just a bit. He played very well, of course. Bravo.

Peter, on the other hand, breaks my heart. For all you people who've read other of my entries here, you will notice a theme of mine: I like underdogs. I like Eastern Europeans who work their ass off and don't take their fortunate position of a professional athlete for granted. (I also like Spaniards and Argentines for personal reasons -- I lived there --and for professional reasons- they are some of the world's best (male) tennis players. Oh, and they are HOT. ) It breaks my heart. I know, I know, Peter is Australian. But he's really Polish. The impeccable dress. The serious face. To lose in two tiebreaks! Well, at least he has that lovely girlfriend to comfort him.

I'm running my tivoed dead rubber of the mixed doubles right now. Dead rubbers bore me a bit. I can't wait to get to the final!
Yours Truly,
Paula

No comments: