Me, Watching Tennis

Me, Watching Tennis
Me, Watching Tennis

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

That's Why She is The Best

Venus is clearly having some kind of existential crisis about tennis. She's still good enough to make a good run at a tournament but her heart is simply not in it anymore. I can't believe she lost to Na Li. Serena, on the other hand, is a killer and she has clearly invested a lot of time into working on her shot placement and her net game. I wish she could get healthy but she runs so hard on the court I'm not surprised her body is taped like mummy.

The Azarenka Williams match had me confused for a while until I realized Serena simply wanted to challenge herself a bit in preparation for the coming rounds. I find Azarenka a bit annoying. She is so petulant and whiny on the court with her little tantrums. If you're going to act out, go big. The petty displays of frustration are boring.

The third set was one of those sets that demonstrates the brilliance of Serena's game. My throat hurts from yelling so much. To see how her game has evolved over the past several years makes me tingle. The ridiculous commentators (my hatred of whom deserves a post of its own), always used to criticize the Williams sisters for being all power and no finesse. You don't hear them talking that shit anymore.In the third set though, Serena put on a goddamned clinic with those winners on Azarenka's serve and she exuded such confidence. She had second serve aces which you rarely see. Serena confused the hell out of her child opponent. Azarenka, toward the end of the set, could only shrug and smile because she knew that even though she had played quite well, she was outclassed when Serena decided to start playing well. I respect Serena's game. I respect it a whole lot. And I love her unconditionally. I don't know why but I just like everything about her on and off the court. So many of these players demonstrate so little personality. They bore me. Say what you will about Serena, but she is always always interesting.

No comments: