Me, Watching Tennis

Me, Watching Tennis
Me, Watching Tennis

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The First Day of the Last Masters

Well, I am very proud to say I got through the first eight hours of the first day of the Paris Masters, although I feel as though I retained very little of it. The first day of any Masters can be very exciting. The top players can end up playing each other in early rounds, unlike, for the most part, the Grand Slams. That said, for some reason I was very underwhelmed yesterday. My understanding of my underwhelmitude is that the Madrid Masters, just over a week ago, was so fricking amazing that I'm still in the "let down" phase, that phase of sadness that something so great is over.

Maybe today's matches will grab my imagination a bit more than yesterday's.

Fish beat Tursunov- that was a bit of an upset. But I missed most of it. I did watch some of Feli Lopez playing Del Potro. Now, I love Feli. Once, I was in the hotel bar with my husband in a hotel in Toronto and it just so happened to be the same hotel that all the players were staying. (That, my friends, is a joke - we stayed there purposefully knowing all the players were there). I had spent the day at the Canada Masters and had seen Feli lose to Jonas Bjorkman, one of the oldest dudes on the tour, and a person to whom Feli should not lose. I was sitting next to Feli's coach, so Feli kept coming over to talk to his coach and it felt like he was talking to me. Feli is very, very handsome. In fact, I belong to a Facebook group called, Feliciano Lopez tiene calor. Anyway, he was sad he lost. In fact, he was so upset when they drove him away on a golf cart I may have yelled, "Te Quiero, Feli!" But I don't remember. (He was crying. I once saw Hewitt cry, too. Only on TV, but still. He had just lost ot Karlovic.)

So later, my husband and I were in the bar and watching the night match and having a nightcap. And guess you walks into the bar? By the way, my husband and I were the only ones there besides the very nice bartender that - to this day-- I feel badly that I didn't give him a better tip. I am math challenged sometimes. One of these days, I'm going to find that man and give him an enormous tip. In fact, I had my son run by the hair salon the other day and re-tip my haircutter lady because of my math challenged state that day. Anyway, Rafa Nadal and Feli came into the bar for a minute and looked at the match- it was Bagdhatis vs. I don't remember. But I do remember Nadal. I stared. My mouth dropped open. I felt shy around him because he had become a huge celebrity. But Feli? Well, I felt a little shy because he's so damn hot. But he's not nearly as big of a worldwide celebrity. Maybe he's big in Spain. Plus, I'd seen him be so vulnerable that day! That very day. So I said to him, "Juegas bien." (You play well._ He said, "Gracias." (Thanks.) And then I died of embarrassment.

Anyway, he lost to Del Potro. The most annoying thing was that they were wearing the exact same outfits. That drives me nuts. I don't get mad at the players- I don't really think it's their fault--but there is a reason they make hockey players wear whites when they travel (and darks at home, or vica versa.) It's nice to know the difference! AndDel Potro and Feli have, like, the same hair! Mostly I was sad that Feli lost. I like him more than Del Potro.

Later, I watched a bit of Clement vs. Youhzny (sp? sorry folks). Youhzny won. But - well, let's hope today I'm more engaged! There is another eight hours! And then the night matches!!! Maybe Nalbandian is playing today....
Yours Truly,
Paula

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's a Youhzny?

Anonymous said...

are youy sure celement won? cuz later youzhny was playing again no?

paula said...

Oops. I meant to say Youhzny won. Is that you Nick. If it is, I hate you.

paula said...

If, by any chance, someone else left that comment about my putting the wrong name down in my post, thank you so much for telling me! I mean it! I am trying to get better at editing my posts. So thanks for the help.